Phil Neville: Pre-match warm up
Underestimate the importance of a pre-match warm up at your peril. Skip the stretches and light jog and you'll find yourself performing like a one-legged carthorse, with injury looming on the horizon.
Execute your pre-match warm up with diligence and you will increase your chances of putting in a match winning performance and reduce your risk of injury.
A pre-match warm-up raises the body temperature, increases metabolic activity, quickens the heartbeat and breathing rate and prepares the muscles and nervous system for exercise.
As an added bonus, it helps a player prepare psychologically for a match. In an exclusive video for FourFourTwo Performance Phil Neville, veteran of more than 450 Premier League games, demonstrates his pre-match warm up.
Download Phil Neville’s Football Training iPhone app here.
Phil Neville: Sizing up your opponent
Phil Neville: Post match warm down
Must see stories in this section
- The Power of Pilates: Part two
- The power of Pilates: Part one
- Avoid post-match pain
- Dealing with a congested fixture list
- Play with the speed of Bale and the power of Ox
- Jack Rodwell: Outrun the opposition
- Late for the game? Skate to it!
- Raise your game: Episode 2