Rio: Playing out from the back
Now they’re 21st century Dogs of War – more T1000 than Terminator.
When Rio Ferdinand broke into the West Ham first team and started following up industrial strength tackles with stylish pirouettes past blood curdling tackles, the football world stood up and took notice.
Technically adept defenders were the future. Ferdinand has since gone on to captain Manchester United and England, mixing grit with grace.
Watch this video to hear Rio’s top tips on playing the ball out from the back.
Rio enlisted the help of James Milner, Ashley Cole and Aaron Lennon to help ‘mentor’ the four UK hopefuls. To follow their progress visit www.facebook.com/nikefootballAlso see:
Rise above the attack
Tricky or tall, it’s no problem
How to be a ball playing centre back
Rio: The thinking man's guide to defending
Rio: Handling different types of striker
Rio: Communicating with your team-mates
Rio: When to hit row Z
Rio: My pre-match playlist
Must see stories in this section
- Aymeric Laporte: The art of being a modern defender
- Vincent Kompany: How to prepare for a cup final
- Performance Lab: Lionel Messi
- Marco Verratti: How to be a deep-lying playmaker
- Defend from the front
- Tim Howard: Command the penalty box
- Become your team's playmaker
- How to design a training session