Shane Long: Leading from the front
Hull City’s Shane Long has excelled in this role, using his pace to stretch defenders as well as his strength and touch to bring his teammates into the game.
After enjoying an impressive debut campaign at the Hawthorns, Long admits that the transition from quick forward to lone-striker took some getting used to.
“If you stand in front of a defender it’s much easier for them to mark you,” he tells FFT.
“I’ve learned the hard way to stand behind them, offside, and break back onside as the ball is being played. It’s something you need to work at – it doesn’t come easily.”
In the video above Long shares his three tips to lead the line effectively.
Shane wears Puma’s v1.11 boot. See prodirectsoccer.com/@pumafootball
Shane Long: Outfox your marker
Shane Long: Build lung-busting endurance
Shane Long's rules to recovery
Shane Long: Lead the line
Shane Long: Overcome an early bone cruncher
Shane Long: Summer workout
Must see stories in this section
- Throw a post-season party
- How to stop a livewire
- Aaron Ramsey: Overrun the opposition
- Give him the eyes, Cristiano!
- Your Performance guide to watching the Champions League final
- Premier League Prep for a Sunday League star
- Performance Lab: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Koke: How to be a midfield maestro