Playing as a target man: the essentials
Fancy yourself as the next Didier Drogba, Gonzalo Higuain or Diego Milito? Then this is the page for you.
A three-minute masterclass in the essentials of playing as a targetman, delivered by Iain Dowie, a man who played the role for the likes of Luton, West Ham, Southampton, QPR and Northern Ireland.
"There are some fundamental things you've got to do," says Dowie. "Like secure possession, stretch the defence and make sure you get on the side of the pitch where the ball is."
But there are just as many things you shouldn't do. Watch the video to learn them all.
Must see stories in this section
- Full-backs and wingers: Forge a menacing partnership
- Gary Neville: How to defend against the long ball
- Nullify the threat of an attacking full-back
- Full-backs: How to defend against a 4-3-3
- Stuart Pearce: How to defend from the front
- Match them tactically
- How to explain tactics
- Defending against a 4-3-2-1